I taught my first teacher improvement yesterday. We teach it during sharing time so I had to teach it twice. I spent a lot of time preparing and I was kind of nervous given the fact that all of the teachers are older and way more experienced then I am. Why would they want to listen to a twenty four year old tell them how to improve their classes.
I studied the book "Teaching, No Greater Call" and I learned a ton of stuff. I love that book. I found a great example that Elder Packer did at a mission zone conference in one of the chapters. I brought a cake in and I said who wants the first piece of cake before we get started. Of course I had some volunteers. It was a beautiful trip chocolate cake. I said " I hope you don't mind but I left my knife at home" and I proceeded to dig my fingers into the cake and plopped some on a paper plate. The teachers looked stunned. Then I said "Well, let me go see if there is a knife in the kitchen." I came back with a knife and cut a nice slice and set it softly on a prettier plate and said "would anyone like this piece?" Then I told them our theme for the day was "Serving" our classes. And we talked about "serving" our lessons in a way that the kids want to eat it up. It turned our really well. But I am glad it is done!
1 comment:
Very cute idea!!
And us "older" people can always learn something new . . . I watch the younger sisters in our ward and wonder how I made it through those years, they seem soooo much smarter than I ever was or am.
Post a Comment