Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Blue Beast

So, I sold my high pinion Dana 60 to some guy in Colorado on Saturday for $1000. By Sunday night, I had already found a way to spend it.

For family home evening on Monday, I bought a '76 Chevy stepside for $1000. The cool part is that it already had a Dana 60 axle swapped in the front. And I drove it home, albeit narrowly escaping the police. It's not everyday one can sell a Dana 60 and then buy another one for the same price that has a running truck on top of it.

The poor guy I bought it from was almost in tears when I drove away. He had owned the truck since he was 16 and, evidently, was very attached to it.

This truck is truly the pinnacle of redneck engineering. Most of the roll cage is made from Uni-strut and capped with Uni-strut spacers. The brake system was plumbed with compression fittings (leftover from the swamp cooler install) and the bed floor is Home Depot's finest 3/4" particle board. All unnecessary sheet metal has been removed, including the rocker panels and floor. The grill has been painstakingly crafted from some very heavy duty fencing. It even came with a CB radio which can be heard over the roar of the engine thanks to the lavishly appointed interior carpet courtesy of the living room remodel. The only things missing are the Hula dancer on the dash and the trucker girl mud flaps, but the red mirrors sort of make up for that. I think it looks great in our driveway, but Chrissy is not so sure. Hey, if the shoe fits...