Monday, August 25, 2008

My first canning experience

We have had so many tomatoes and peppers in our garden that I decided I was going to research and can salsa. I have never canned anything in my life, so this was all new to me. I read about how acid levels in the jar need to be just right or you can get botulism, some of the websites made you think you were going to die. After talking to several people, I figured I would just follow a recipe and try it out.

My neighbor let me borrow her water bath canner and I went at it. Blanching and peeling the tomatoes, seeding and chopping the peppers and onions, measuring everything, putting it in the blender ( I like smooth salsa) heating the jars and lids, heating the salsa, and water bathing each jar. I chopped about 20 peppers and my hands were on fire. I even wore gloves and I was in a lot of pain until about 1 a.m. After following the recipe I decided it called for way too much vinegar and lime juice and so we added some more tomatoes and when I open the jars I will even add a couple more tomatoes. But other than that it was fun and it turned out great. I made 12 jars of salsa.

However, it was quite labor some and I decided I am just going to can tomatoes from now on to help on time and the burning of hands. Then when I want salsa, I will open some tomatoes and add some peppers that day.



3 comments:

Tina said...

One thing about canning Salsa that you'll need to remember is the longer it stays on your shelf the hotter it gets! So if you like it hot don't eat it too fast. I like mine mild (not that I've ever canned any, my mom does it) so I like the newly canned stuff. WOW Chrissy, WAY TO GO!!

AMS said...

have you been talking to jeri!? when peaches come out, then talk to me about canning. you might convince me at that point! it sounds fun, though.... maybe next year! :)

Dominique said...

Wow, good job! I am impressed! Salsa any time you want it is awesome.