Saturday, October 3, 2009

What to expect when I'm expecting!

WARNING: very personal and really long story, read at your own risk of knowing too much.

I can definitely say I was not expecting what has been going on for the last month. A little over a month ago Jon and I found out that we were going to have baby number 3! We were so excited. My brother Andy and his wife Megan had just found out they were pregnant as well, how fun to have cousins so close. We didn't want to tell anyone for a couple of weeks to give Andy and Megan their exciting time. However, we had to call our parents with the news because the following happened:

About a week after we found out, I started to have a lot of pain in my right side. Each day it got a little worse and so I decided to go to the doctor. They took my blood and my HCG (pregnancy hormone) level was high enough that they should have been able to see the baby on ultrasound, but they couldn't. All they could see was some fluid around my fallopian tube and ovary. My doctor was 90% sure that it was a tubal pregnancy and he wanted to operate right away because tubal pregnancy are very dangerous. I wanted to wait a few days and get another ultrasound, he was fine with that. But by the next day the pain was so sharp I thought it wasn't worth waiting if my tube was going to burst. It was a very emotional decision for many reasons, you don't want to lose the baby or your tube but their is no way either of us would survive if it stayed in there. I decided to have surgery on Wednesday September 9th. I have never had surgery and I was scared to death. I don't do good with needles and medicine and I was scared my body would react wierd to the anesthesia. But I did it. I can do hard and scary things with a lot of prayer and priesthood blessings, Jon, my dad and Coach gave me blessing all within a couple of days, that really helped.

When I woke up from surgery I was sooooo woozy and I was in sooo much pain. I just started to cry. I realized I was no longer pregnant which was hard to take and I just needed to recover physically and emotionally. When the doctor came in a while later he said that there was not a baby in my tube. What? I thought that was crazy, why did I just have surgery? I was furious. He said they found a lot of debris outside of my tube and behind my uterus that they cleaned out for biopsy. He also said they found a cyst in my left ovary that he believed was a healthy cyst that was protecting a pregnancy and he thought I was still pregnant. At this point I was pretty confused and on pain killers so I just kept crying. Pain killers make me crazy. I didn't know what to think. He just said to come in for an ultrasound on Monday.

The doctor said this surgery is pretty simple and that recover is relatively easy. It is laproscopic surgery with two incisions, one in your belly button and one by your pubic bone, I would just have two little scars and I would feel better in less than a week. He just said I couldn't do any hard exercize or lift more than 20 pounds for a month. Hello, Lily weighs 25 lbs and I have to lift her all the time. I did my best not to lift her for a week but then I had to. Let me just say, I would rather have a baby any day than ever do that surgery again. The recovery was soooo awful. I wonder if the doctor has ever had that done to him, he should before he tells people it is a relatively easy recovery. I was sooo sooo sick from the anesthesia. And I guess they have to put gas in your body to help with the surgery and it stays in your body forever. It hurt so bad, my shoulders, chest, lungs, ribs were always in the worst pain. Luckily Jon was on shift change and he had several days off and my Grandma was so nice to come and take care of me and the kids for a few days. It took a full week before I felt like I could function for a few hours at a time. Okay, enough complaining, sorry about that, it just was not what I was expecting and it completely knocked me out.

Monday morning we went to the doctor and they did an ultrasound and low and behold there was a little baby in my uterus. Now why did that baby not show up 5 days earlier? Who knows. But it has been a few weeks since the surgery and we have gone to the doctor again and we saw a healthy little heartbeat. I am about 8 1/2 weeks along now and due May 14th. However, this due date and how far along I am are just a guess because my original due date was May 1st. I know my body is strange and it is hard to estimate my due dates, but the doctors do their best to figure out how far along I am. I just have to say I think this is a boy because Calvin's pregnancy was very similar minus the surgery. They thought he was a tubal, pain in my side, wierd HCG's and progesterone levels and his due dates were totally messed up from Aug. 12 to July 24 finally decided on Aug 2 and he was actually born July 14th. I am guessing this baby will come in April if it follows Calvin and Lily's early trend. Lily was due 7-7-07 which would have been cool. She was born June 22, 2007.

Anyways, we found out that the fluid and debris they cleaned out was endometriosis. Which I always thought I might have but the doctors always said I did not have it. Funny huh. I have had cysts that burst and are very painful since high school. And I guess when that builds up and forms endometriosis it can cause a lot of pain. Hence all of the pain I was having in my right side. I have not had that pain since the surgery and I am hoping getting that cleaned out will help with other stuff too. So that is how I look at the surgery now, not being a completely horrible waist (like I thought of it for a while), but that they cleaned out the stuff causing the pain and that it is a good thing to get that stuff out of there.

I have been much more sick with this one than I ever was with Calvin or Lily. I am craving sweets like I did with Calvin. I want cinnamon rolls, I think that is funny. With Lily I wanted Chili's chips and salsa all the time. The thought of salsa or my home grown tomatoes makes me horribly sick. I never threw up with the first two and I have thrown up a couple of times with this one. Everyone keeps asking if it is twins. That was my first thought when they said my HCG was high but they couldn't find the baby. But so far there is just one. I may just be more sick because I never really got to recover from surgery before the pregnancy sickness started, so my body is just tired. I don't know, but I hope it goes away soon. I love food and right now I can not stand any food, it is disgusting. Which is really wierd and sad. But it could be much worse. Atleast I keep 90% of what I eat down. Even if it doesn't taste good and I am nauseated for hours after atleast I am getting some nourishment.

And I AM STILL PREGNANT!! That is the bright and happy side and we are soooo excited. Calvin and Lily are also very happy. Calvin says that we are going to have three little boy knights for him to play with (ya right). And Lily doesn't care if it is a boy or girl she just wants to see it. She always pulls up my shirt and says "See it mom, where baby?" It is funny. Jon and I just want a cute little healthy baby sometime in the spring of 2010. So, there is my long story on what to expect when I am expecting.

4 comments:

Noelle said...

Congratulations! What a crazy, scary adventure you went through. But, I am so glad that you will get a baby at the end of it. Throw some baby dust my way...

Tina said...

So happy everything turned out okay!!! And is was so great to see you so much this past week!!!

Jaime said...

I'm happy that everything worked out and that you and baby #3 are healthy! I'm sorry you're so sick though, I know how that goes... no fun!!

The Willardson Family said...

Wow, what a story! Congrats! That is so exciting! I'm glad everything is OK!