Sunday night I was getting Calvin ready for bed and Lily shut the door to his bedroom. I didn't think much of it until I went to get Lily to read a story with us. She had shut and locked the door, the bad news is, you can not unlock the door when you are inside. No, I did not know this, I was wondering what the previous owners were thinking. Did they want to lock their kids in their rooms? It was 8:00 and Jon was at work until 11:00, so I had to come up with some solution of getting us out of there.
I told Lily to unlock the door and in her sweetest voice she said, "I can't mom, its locked." We decided to say a little prayer for help. I immediately thought of my cell phone. It was probably thin enough to fit under the door. I told Lily to go and get mommy's cell phone off of the couch downstairs and she responded, " No mom, it's dark." It was so cute I couldn't help but laugh. I kept trying to encourage her but reasoning with a two year old through a door is not very easy.
I looked all over Calvin's room for some sort of tool that I could unscrew the door knob with. I tried putting a ruler down the door crack and using little knight tools to get us out, but they were not working. So I decided to tell Lily a little more sternly to get my cell phone, this time it worked, She responded, "Okay, mom I get it." She was so brave to go in the dark to get the phone. A minute later I hear her saying, " I get it, I get it." I told her to push it under the door, and that is when I realized she got the house phone instead of the cell phone, so I sent her back to get the pink phone and she returned with the right one. I can not believe she was able to push it under the door, she is tough, it was a really tight squeeze, it even broke a part on my brand new phone. I was so happy she did though. I called several neighbors and was finally able to get a hold of the Salmon's to rescue us. They used our garage code to get in (luckily the house door to the garage was unlocked). We were rescued after being stuck for 1/2 hour. It was so funny, Calvin and I could not stop laughing. We kept saying "what if." Like, what if I had to jump out the window. And what if Lily was destroying the house instead of listening. It was actually a very cute/ funny bonding and learning experience.
3 comments:
That's really funny. I think I should have come to your house on Saturday instead of letting Alex sleep. I don't think Melynn would have got a peanut stuck up her nose had I done so.
That was too cute, I'm glad you have it written down to remember!
That remind me of the talk by Elder Faust, "Come what may, and love it." That could have been very frustrating, and even scary for your kids, especially Lily, and you chose to make the most of it. You guys are great! I would be for changing the door knobs in the kids rooms.
Post a Comment