The 4th of July has always been my favorite holiday. We always have a family reunion with my Dad's side of the family. He has 8 brothers and sisters and they all have kids and now we all have kids and so it usually turns out to be quite a few people. It has even been such a great tradition that some years my Mom's family and bunches of other friends have come by. We would always have a BBQ and potluck lunch and then play basketball and other outside games. Then when it got dark everyone would bring out their fireworks and we would have a great show in the front yard. Our party yesterday was a little different. A lot of the family was out of town and so it was more laid back then it usually is. Instead of our parents watching us have a basketball tournament we watched our little kids (their grandkids) play in the water. The weather was not too hot, it was perfect. Ever since Jon and I got married we have also been doing his family tradition of going to the Marriot grounds and watching the stadium fireworks. Calvin thought they were awesome and Lily was just tired. On the way home BreAnna called and said Josh proposed. My little sister is getting married! All and all it was a good day and it is still my favorite holiday. I just love the heat and the good BBQ food and the company and the fireworks.
But most importantly I love celebrating our freedom and I am so grateful to be living in the circumstances that we live in and I love America.
3 comments:
Sounds like a fun 4th! Isn't it great that we can have so many fun traditions!? This is a wonderful place to live!
Wow. Tell BreAnna Congradulations.
That makes me miss Utah, Chrissy. Back when you were little like Calvin, your mom's family (us) went to the family July 4th party every year. In fact, I thought it was a Stevens' party, with part of the Nielsons showing up . . . what a change the years have brought . . . .
BreAnna called Halley to tell her about her engagement. I answered Halley's phone because she was in another room at the time. I guess BreAnna thought I was Halley and so I got the whole story! It took her a bit to figure out who she was talking to, even though I am sure I told her in the beginning I wasn't Halley! I'm soooo excited for her!!
Post a Comment