Friday, May 16, 2008

Our garden is planted !

I am so excited, we planted our garden today. Jon rigged up this nice watering system for the boxes with PVC and drip hoses.

This is the tomato box, we have 8 different tomato plants. We met a really helpful lady at the nursery who told us to plant our squash and cucumbers under the tomatoes to save on space, so they are also in this box.

This is the pepper and onions box. We have green, yellow, anaheim, jalapeno, and all sorts of other peppers. We are going to have the best salsa in town.

This box has 3 rows of corn (which you can't see) and a watermelon plant. That same lady said to plant watermelon and corn together. She was so helpful, we really wanted to use our space wisely and she gave us some great tips.


And this is Calvin's digger area. He loves to play in the gravel. We might have to take some of his digger space next year if we really love this gardening stuff. I can't wait to see how well the garden grows. If it works out well enough we will built some more boxes next year.

6 comments:

Sudar Clan said...

I tilled, hauled in two yards of dirt and eight yards of gravel, shoveled and raked said dirt and gravel, built the boxes and the watering system, so I think the weeding and watering are up to Chrissy.

Tina said...

Wow, your garden spot looks totally awesome!!! I'll have to show Lincoln!! Hey, I bet you would love to read a book called (I think it is called this) "Gardening by the Square Foot" It gives a lot of cool ideas like the lady in the store was giving you, what crops you can mix, how to plant so you can have vegies all season long, and just stuff you won't think of yourself. I have been putting my vine-like plants in wires just like you put around your tomato plants. Cucumbers are really great in wire enclosures. Instead of searching around on the ground for your cucumbers, they just hang down from the wires, it is really nice. Good Luck with the gardening!

Smith Family said...

What a great job! I'm going to do a small grow box this year. I think the best part is having the kids eating stuff right off the vine. They will eat so much better.

The Beals said...

YAY! YAY! YAY! I'm looking forward to LOTS of Salsa this year!!!!!!

jeri said...

That is the cutest garden ever. Someone told me about this stuff called Preen, which you scatter around once your plants and seedlings are established, and it keeps weeds from germinating. I got a box and I'm going to try it as soon as my beans and carrots are up.

Wendi said...

It looks great. Way to go Jon. :-) Just kidding. I can't wait to have our own garden.