Calvin is obsessed with pirates lately. He used to say, "When I grow up I want to be a knight, no maybe a pirate, no an astronaut" and so on and so on. Until one day he came up with a solution to his major dilemma. He came into my room one morning and said, " Mom, I have a great plan, I can be everything I want to be when I grow up, I will just call myself a changing pirate, knight, astronaut, etc. And I will change whenever I want. " He was so very excited about this for a couple of weeks. And then he decided he no longer wants to be a changing guy, he only wants to be a pirate. Because pirates are the coolest. He is so much fun to listen to.
He begged us to build a real pirate ship in the backyard. We finally convinced him to just let us build his swing set into a pirate ship. He agreed. So on a Saturday afternoon in the middle of January's cold weather, we made our swing set a pirate ship. We put a steering wheel on it, we added a flag that can be raised and lowered, some skull-like sails made out of truck floor mats I found on clearance at Ross, and we called it good. The kids loved helping out and they love the backyard even more now. They call the swings the anchors and you have to swim or pretend like you are on a small boat to get in and out of the ship.
No comments:
Post a Comment