Jon was asked to attend the water conference in St. George the first week of March for his work this year. I was invited to go so that Jon would have a date for the banquet dinner. It is a week of classes for Jon, so I didn't think it would be much fun for me. And it is really hard for me to find babysitters for the kids and I really don't like to leave them for longer than a day. I kept debating whether or not I would go. Finally I decided it was a free hotel, free gas money, why not go and enjoy the warm weather and try not to worry about the kids. We got down there and I thought what am I going to do for 3 days by myself. And then I had all of these wonderful ideas come to me and I got so excited for the week. I scheduled a massage, I went and did sealings at the temple, I went to the temple visitors center and watched some amazing videos, I went to Jacob Hamblin's house, Brigham Young's winter home, shopping. Jon and I went to two movies, we visited with some of Jon's friends, Jon and Delina Hansen, went swimming, went to the Tabernacle, went hiking and went to the work dinner. Jon had a good time in his classes and had a blast going on a bike ride with Jon Hansen and catching up with him. But I must say, I can not explain how much fun I had spending time by MYSELF!!! Oh my, I really, really needed that. I don't even remember the last time I was alone for a day. When I went shopping I had time to just look, no rush, no one saying "let's go," At the church history sites I got a private tour and I actually got to listen and learn and ask questions. It was amazing and the spirit was so strong. I actually understood polygamy for a minute when they explained it at the Jacob Hamblin house. I longed for a self sufficient, simple life and realized that we really are a lazy generation with everything handed to us. They worked so hard to live, we work hard running around doing not much of anything(no offense to anyone, that is just how I was feeling at the moment). The stories were really amazing to listen to and it was so much fun to learn about our heritage. The visitor center videos I chose to watch were, The Stone Cutter, which was just unreal how much strength that man had. And a Dallin H. Oaks message on Marriage and Divorce. Both were inspiring. The temple was beautiful inside. When I was going to school in St. George I dreamed about doing sealings in there one day and I actually did it. I forgot my temple recommend and clothes but was able to call my bishopric for admittance and borrow a skirt from Delina. Going out on the town with Jon every night was really fun too. And the weather was beautiful and warm. It was a great week. And yes I did worry a little about the kids but thanks to my Grandma, my mom and Jon's mom I knew they were safe and having a blast here at home. And I think that was the best thing I could have done as a mom, take a break for myself and have a relaxing week. I hope we get more opportunities to go to the work conferences!
Brigham Young's winter house and the signed Twelve Apostles picture.







1 comment:
For some reason I'm not seeing your pictures (probably my computer's problem!) but it sounds like you had an absolutely fantastic time! I feel the same way about people being really spoiled today, feeling entitled and all that . . . . I guess it comes from my farming background;) So glad you were able to get away!
Post a Comment